Book contents
- Frontmatter
- Contents
- Miscellaneous Frontmatter
- List of Illustrations
- Introduction to the series
- Preface and acknowledgments
- Abbreviations and symbols used in transcription
- Symbols Used In Transcription
- Bibliography
- General Introduction
- Notes on sources: The sources - introduction
- Bedfordshire churches 1550-1914 - a general survey
- The Churches
The Churches
Published online by Cambridge University Press: 05 August 2023
- Frontmatter
- Contents
- Miscellaneous Frontmatter
- List of Illustrations
- Introduction to the series
- Preface and acknowledgments
- Abbreviations and symbols used in transcription
- Symbols Used In Transcription
- Bibliography
- General Introduction
- Notes on sources: The sources - introduction
- Bedfordshire churches 1550-1914 - a general survey
- The Churches
Summary
AMPTHILL
Although the present church dates chiefly from the Cl4th and Cl5th, the foundations of the Cl2th church were discovered during excavations in 1975. The later church has a chancel, nave with north and south aisles, south porch and west tower. It retains its Cl5th roof with angels and shields (though the painted decoration is modem) and there is a ceilure above the former rood.
In 1696 a private pew was constructed for Lord Ashbumham of Ampthill Park in the south aisle of the church. Sir Christopher Wren and his pupil Nicholas Hawksmoor were involved in the design, and the pew was built by Alexander Fort, the King’s joiner. There was a heated legal dispute between Lord Ashburnham and Lord Ailesbury of Houghton House about this pew, which was eventually removed in 1847. The entrance through the east wall of the south aisle is shown in Buckler’s drawing dated 1835 (Plate 2). Lord Ailesbury had his own pew in the church, and there are faculties and papers regarding other Cl8th pews. In 1827 Boissier described the church as “crowded with pews & galleries”. Between 1823 and 1839 Bonney ordered several improvements to the pews, and in 1845 W.A. was highly critical of the arrangement of the church interior.
A faculty was obtained in 1728 to replace the pulpit, take down the chancel screen, and alter various windows. It was probably at this date that the pulpit was placed centrally in the chancel arch where it remained until 1847. Other repairs and alterations in the Cl8th and early Cl9th are recorded in the churchwardens’ accounts from 1718, vestry minutes from 1767, and churchwardens bills from 1823 (listed individually by Andrew Underwood) in the parish records.
Restoration came in 1847-8 under James Tacy Wing of Bedford, who provided new seats and galleries in the nave (Plate 3) and renewed the east window, repaired the roof and stonework, and added a small vestry on the north side of the chancel. In 1851-2 the church was lit by gas.
The tracery of the windows in the south aisle was renewed in 1872-3. Further work followed in 1877 when the vestry on the north side of the chancel was enlarged under James Piers St. Aubyn, although not all the work authorised by the faculty was carried out.
- Type
- Chapter
- Information
- Bedfordshire Churches in the Nineteenth CenturyPart 1 Parishes A to G, pp. 41 - 318Publisher: Boydell & BrewerFirst published in: 2023